The Museo del Prado is presenting the conclusions of the technical study and restoration of its version of La Gioconda
Monday 20 February 2012
The technical study of the Prado’s painting was undertaken by Ana González Mozo, researcher in the Museum’s Technical Documentation Section, in collaboration with the different areas within the Restoration Department. Restoration was carried out by Almudena Sánchez Martín, restorer at the Museo del Prado. The project was coordinated by Miguel Falomir Faus, Head of the Department of Italian Painting (up to 1700) at the Museo del Prado.
The painting has been in the Prado’s collection since the foundation of the Museum in 1819. It was previously in the Spanish royal collection, which provided the nucleus of the Museum’s holdings. While it is not known exactly when or how it entered the royal collection, it is probably the painting listed in 1666 in the inventory of the Galería de Mediodía in the Alcázar as a female portrait by Leonardo. Miguel Falomir Faus, Head of the Department of Italian Painting (up to 1700) at the Museo del Prado, considers it very possible that this copy was already in Spain in the early years of the 17th century.
Normally on display at the Museum until its removal to the restoration studio in June 2011, the painting was previously catalogued as an anonymous copy from the first quarter of the 16th century painted on poplar panel. As a result of the new information that has emerged from its recent study and restoration, the painting can now be catalogued as “La Gioconda, studio of Leonardo da Vinci, ca.1503-16. Oil on walnut panel”.