The Library, Documentation and Archive Department of the Museo del Prado is situated in the Casón del Buen Retiro. The Reading Room, which opened to the users on March 9, 2009, is located in the Ambassadors Ballroom, under the splendid dome painted by the Neapolitan Luca Giordano circa 1697.
The Reading Room may be used to consult the holdings of the Library, which contains more than 70.000 monographs and 1.000 titles of periodicals on occidental art from Middle Ages to 19th century; the Archive, with more than 3.000 boxes containing the History of the Museum and its collections, and the Documentation Service, with a wide range of information on the works of art of the Museum Collection. Also, other sources related to History of Art such as electronic services, music library and the Witt Library and an important collection of antique books, are available for consultation in the Reading Room.
* Notice: the Reading Room will be closed on Monday December 30
- Monday to Thursday: 9am to 3pm
- (Books and other material may only be consulted until 2.30pm)
- Friday: 9am to 2.30pm
- (Books and other material may only be consulted until 2pm)
- Monday and Wednesday, 3pm to 6pm
- (Books and other material may only be consulted until 5.30pm)
- June 16th to September 15th
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 2.30pm
- Museo Nacional del Prado. Centro de Estudios
- Casón del Buen Retiro
- C/ Alfonso XII, 28
- 28014 Madrid
902 107 077