The Hermitage and the Prado will be exchanging an important selection of works from their collections, with the support of the State Society for Cultural Action.
The State Hermitage Museum, the Museo del Prado and the State Society for Cultural Action [Sociedad Estatal de Acción Cultural] today signed the collaborative agreements for the celebration of the exhibitions "The Prado in the Hermitage" and "The Hermitage in th Prado", to be shown this year in Saint Petersburg and Madrid respectively within the context of the bi-lateral Spain-Russia Year 2011. The signing was presided over by the Spanish Minister of Culture.
By the end of 2010 and for the third year running, the Museo del Prado had more than 2.7 million visitors, a figure first achieved following the opening of the Museum’s extension. In addition, in 2010 the Museum’s website received 4,335,265 visits, representing a rise of 10.4% on 2009.
The Museo del Prado today published the first multi-interactive, online video relating to art. Entitled “Rubens 360º”, this initiative, which is a pioneering one in the context of museum websites, is another landmark within the Prado’s mission to make its collections and exhibitions accessible beyond the Museum’s physical space, while also expanding and increasing its educational and informational activities. This new initiative has been made possible through the support of Telefónica, Benefactor Sponsor of the Visitor Attention programme and has been created by the Spanish company that was also responsible for the development and treatment of the gigapixel images in the project entitled “Masterpieces from the Museo del Prado on Google Earth”. It makes use of the potential for interactivity and accessibility inherent within a wide range of information to present a comprehensive visual and intellectual summary of
Dürer’s Adam and Eve return to public display at the Prado following their painstaking and complex restoration
The Museum is once again displaying the magnificent pair of paintings of Adam and Eve (1507) by Albrecht Dürer, following two years of intensive restoration to their pictorial surfaces and supports. The work on the two panels has benefited from the participation of a team of international experts, jointly co-ordinated by the Prado and the Getty Foundation in Los Angeles. The latter institution funded the restoration of the delicate panels on which the two paintings are executed, leading to the development of an ingenious technical solution in order to stabilise them. To draw public attention to the complex process of restoration carried out on both panels, they are now on show in a space other than their usual gallery, with a special installation sponsored by Iberdrola as their first project within the collaborative agreement signed today with the Prado for sponsorship of the Museum’s restoration programme.
The Museo del Prado is concluding its 2010 exhibition programme with an exhibition devoted to its collection of works by Peter Paul Rubens (Siegen, 1577-Antwerp, 1640). Its unique presentation has been specially designed to encourage the visiting public to enter the world of Rubens in an open-minded manner and to establish a dialogue between their own emotions and the power and creative richness of the artist. Using dramatic juxtapositions, the Museum will be displaying the 90 works that constitute its entire holdings of the artist’s works, which is the most important to be found in a single institution. In conjunction with the exhibition, the Prado is presenting an extensive documentary on Rubens that has again been created with the aim of making the artist more immediately accessible to the contemporary viewpoint.
To mark the Bicentenary of the Independence movements in the South American republics, Fomento Cultual Banamex, Patrimonio Nacional, the Museo Nacional del Prado and the Sociedad Estatal de Conmemoraciones Culturales (SECC) are presenting the exhibition Painting from the Viceroyalties. Featuring more than 100 works, it offers a visual reflection through the language of painting of the cultural relationship between Europe, in particular Spain, and the South American viceroyalties in the 16th and 17th centuries. The exhibition, curated by Jonathan Brown, is jointly held at the Palacio Real in Madrid and the Museo del Prado from 26 October 2010 to 30 January 2011. It will subsequently be shown in Mexico City at the Palacio de Cultura Banamex (Palacio de Iturbide) from 2 March to 30 June 2011.
New collaborative agreement between the Museo del Prado and the Japanese media group Yomiuri Shimbun
The agreement will allow for a new exhibition to take place in Japan of works from the Prado, entitled Goya: Lights and Shadows. Masterpieces of the Museo del Prado. It will open at the end of next year at the National Museum of Western Art in Tokyo
The Minister of Culture confirms the acquisition of the painting by Bruegel the Elder for the Museo del Prado
The Minister of Culture, Ángeles González-Sinde, today presided over a plenary session of the Royal Board of Trustees of the Museo del Prado in which it was unanimously decided to exercise the option to purchase The Wine of Saint Martin’s Day, an autograph work by Peter Bruegel the Elder.
During the forthcoming autumn-winter season the Museo del Prado will be holding the first monographic exhibition devoted to Renoir in Spain. For the first time in Europe it will show 31 of the paintings by Renoir housed at the Clark Art Institute (Williamstown, Massachusetts), the American museum that possesses one of the most important holdings of Renoir’s works. Through this exceptional loan of almost all the Institute’s paintings by the artist, and during the more than three months of the exhibition’s duration, the Prado will be able to demonstrate the breadth and importance of Renoir’s artistic ideas through the principal genres in which he worked: portraiture, the female figure, the nude, landscape, still life and flowers.
This October, the Museo del Prado will be presenting the most outstanding items from the holdings of its Library, to be shown to the public for the first time. Following its relocation last year to the Casón del Buen Retiro, the Library now forms part of the new Study Centre of the Museum, with a spacious reading room beneath Luca Giordano’s magnificent painted ceiling. The Library houses an important collection of early books that has been significantly increased in recent years with the acquisition of the libraries of José María Cervelló and the Madrazo family. The present exhibition aims to reveal the importance of this unknown part of the Museum’s collection through a selection of forty volumes dating from between approximately 1500 and 1750. They are accompanied by eight paintings from the Museum by Titian, Velázquez and El Greco that have been included in order to reveal the close links between the bibliographic holdings and the Prado’s paintings collection.