When the Government of Burgos took possession of the works of art sent to Switzerland, preparations were made for their return. While the paintings chosen for the exhibition were moved to the Geneva Museum, the rest went to the Exhibition Hall from where the first return convoys set out on 10 May and 14 June 1939. The paintings that had been included in the exhibition left Geneva on 5 September, two days after World War II broke out. Transported by train, the convoy had to make frequent stops to allow military units to go past, as well as to check and adjust the cargo. Finally, on 9 September, the paintings, works of art and other objects arrived at Madrid’s Estación del Norte and were transported to the Museo del Prado from there. The masterpieces which had left the Museum from November 1936 onwards returned home with scarcely any losses after a long and hazardous journey.