The Mühlberg Armour
Charles V is equipped in the manner of the light cavalry with a half-pike and wheel-lock pistol in the front saddle-tree. His armour was made in 1545 by Desiderius Helmschmid (1513-1579). Following a practice first introduced in 1531, the breastplate has an image of the Virgin and Child. The Emperor’s head is protected by a morion with three rope-twist crests. The helmet is covered with a close-fitting cap in matte grey leather, to which Titian applied light brushstrokes to create an effect of fur.