The studio of Gianlorenzo Bernini, one of the leading sculpture studios in 17th-century Rome, was commissioned to complete the replica, owned at that date by Christina of Sweden. The studio added the right arm, the legs, the plinth with most of the supporting trunk (up to the level of the knees), and the thumb of the left hand.

The subject of the sculpture was not known at that date and it was not until 1764 that Winckleman identified it as the Diadumenos. At the time of the restoration it was interpreted as Ptolemy, King of Egypt and as a result the right arm was positioned hanging downwards and not raised towards the head, as would have been correct for a Diadumenos figure.

 
Ministerio de Cultura. Gobierno de España; abre en ventana nueva
España es cultura Spain is culture
Copyright © 2014 Museo Nacional del Prado.
Calle Ruiz de Alarcón 23
Madrid 28014
Tel. +34 91 330 2800.
All rights reserved