Inventory number
P04299
Author
Esquivel y Suárez de Urbina, Antonio María (Spanish)
Title
The Contemporary Poets. A Reading of Zorilla at the Painter's Studio
Chronology
1846
Technique
Óleo
Support
Lienzo
Dimensions
144 cm x 217 cm
School
Española
Theme
Género y sociedad
On display
Yes
Provenance
Nuevas Adquisiciones Museo de la Trinidad, 1866 (adquirido por R. O. de 17/04/1866); Museo de Arte Moderno (14/08/1896).

The most famous of Esquivel's pieces and a leading work of Spanish Romanticism. Considered the maximum graphical testimony to the intellectual atmosphere during the reign of Isabel II (1830 - 1904), this canvas depicts a fictitious meeting of Esquivel's most relevant cultural contemporaries. The composition combines the complexities of a group portrait with the scheme of Flemish Baroque cabinet portraits, concentrating on every single detail of the painter's studio, so that his works and taste can be analyzed.

According to the engraved cartouche that accompanies this painting, the following persons can be identified from left to right: Antonio Ferrer del Río (1814-1872), Juan Eugenio Hartzenbusch (1806-1880), Juan Nicasio Gallego (1777-1853), Antonio Gil y Zárate (1793-1861), Tomás Rodríguez Rubí (1817-1890), Isidoro Gil y Baus (1814-1866), Cayetano Rosell y López (1817-1883), Antonio Flores (1818-1866), Manuel Bretón de los Herreros (1796-1873), Francisco González Elipe, Patricio de la Escosura (1807-1878), José María Queipo de Llano, Count of Toreno (1786-1843), Antonio Ros de Olano (1808-1887), Joaquín Francisco Pacheco (1808-1865), Mariano Roca de Togores (1812-1889), Juan González de la Pezuela (1809-1906), Ángel de Saavedra, Duke of Rivas (1791-1865), Gabino Tejado (1819-1891), Francisco Javier de Burgos (1824-1902), José Amador de los Ríos (1818-1878), Francisco Martínez de la Rosa (1787-1862), Carlos Doncel, José Zorrilla (1817-1893), José Güell y Renté (1818-1884), José Fernández de la Vega, Ventura de la Vega (1807-1865), Luis de Olona (1823-1863), Antonio María Esquivel, Julián Romea (1818-1863), Manuel José Quintana (1772-1857), José de Espronceda (1808-1842), José María Díaz († 1888), Ramón de Campoamor (1817-1901), Manuel Cañete (1822-1891), Pedro de Madrazo y Kuntz (1816-1898), Aureliano Fernández Guerra (1816-1891), Ramón de Mesonero Romanos (1803-1882), Cándido Nocedal (1821-1885), Gregorio Romero Larrañaga (1814-1872), Bernardino Fernández de Velasco y Pimentel, Duke of Frías (1873-1851), Eusebio Asquerino (h.1822-1892), Manuel Juan Diana (1814-1881) and Agustín Durán (1793-1862).

This work was presented for the first time at the annual exhibition of the Royal Academy of San Fernando in 1846. It comes from the Ministry of Public Works, from which it entered the Prado Museum by Royal Order of 17 April 1886. In 1896 it became a part of the now-defunct Museum of Modern Art.

 
Ministerio de Cultura. Gobierno de España; abre en ventana nueva
España es cultura Spain is culture
Copyright © 2014 Museo Nacional del Prado.
Calle Ruiz de Alarcón 23
Madrid 28014
Tel. +34 91 330 2800.
All rights reserved