Room 49, ground floor. Villanueva Building
Following its restoration, the Museum is once again displaying the outstanding canvas of "Saint Francis of Assisi in the Portiuncula", a masterpiece dating from between 1600 and 1605 by the Bolognese painter Ludovico Carraci (1555 - 1619).
It depicts the apparition to Saint Francis of Christ and the Virgin surrounded by angels. Carracci's canvas is a perfect synthesis of the classicising Baroque typical of the Bolognese school. The Carracci family was the leading representative of this school, of whom Ludovico -an artist little represented in Spanish collections- was the eldest member. The painting reveals his naturalistic vision and expressive approach, painted in a masterly fashion and with remarkable skill in the use of ligtht to define forms and spaces
Restoration sponsored by Fundación Iberdrola