Use of the Reading Room
The General Reading Room contains 36 consultation desks featuring laptop and WiFi connection. Also it offered a free access reference library consisting of 5.000 titles.
The eight terminals found in the Loan and Computer Room offer access to the online catalogues of the library, the archive and the Museum Art Collection, as well as access to Internet, specialized databases and a wide range of electronic resources about art. This room also provides accurate equipment to consult the microfiches of the Witt Library containing more than 2 millions of painting and drawing reproductions.
Bibliographic queries, suggestions and requests
The library staff will assist on the use and running of the library as well as on locating information and material required for study, teaching or research. The users can also request the acquisition of specific books which are not available in the Library´s holdings, contacting the suggestion and request service: email@example.com
Inter-Library Loans Service
The Library of the Museo del Prado offers its collection to other research libraries under Inter-Library-Loan service.
Inter-Library Loan conditions:
- The Library will only lend publications of which it has at least two copies and which are not to be found in other libraries where the requesting library is located.
- Publications prior to 1900 are not loaned, nor are reference books, periodicals, audiovisual material or any publication whose physical condition makes it unsuitable.
- The library receiving the loan will be responsible for the care and return of the work. The loaned publication cannot leave the library and must be returned appropriately packaged. The duration of the loan is one month counting from the date the publication has been handed over.
- The requested documents can only be used for research and study purposes. Reproduction will comply with the current Law of Intellectual Property
- Loan requests would preferably be made via e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The requesting library will receive a reply within a period of three days.
Reproduction of publications
Photocopies of books, periodicals and booklets in the Library’s holdings can be made using the coin-operated photocopier.
To make photocopies, the following regulations apply:
- No more than a third of the publication can be photocopied.
- Publications prior to 1900 cannot be photocopied, nor those susceptible of damage given their own specific characteristics.
- Maps and prints can only be reproduced using photography.
- The Library complies with the current Law of Intellectual Property.
- The Library is in process of installing a digital reproduction service. Meanwhile, users are allowed to use their own cameras. The Library has a camera stand at their disposal.
- Permission to use both services must be requested to the Library’s staff.
Interest Center, Novelties Counter and Information Desk
The Library, through the Interest Center, offers a bibliographic selection about temporary exhibitions at the Museo del Prado. The user can find in the Novelties Counter a selection of bibliography published each month. Lastly, the Information Desk provides information on course announcements, awards, conferences, etc, with the art world as a subject. These three free access services are found in the Loan and Computer Room.
Users can look up the monthly newsletters (.txt file) corresponding to the last twelve months.
- Bibliographic Novelties January
- Bibliographic Novelties February
To receive monthly the Bibliographic Novelties Newsletters, please contact email@example.com
Diffusion and extension
Guided visits of the Library are available by the Library, Archive and Documentation Department to the university community, both students and professors, preferably if they are related to art and museums studies. The objective is to offer its collection and services as a study and research tools and to approach to the Museo del Prado Collection.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Library offers other specialized centers the service of publications exchange. They just have to mark the books of the Prado’s Library they are interested in along with their own list of books and send an email to email@example.com