The Prado in the Hermitage
Saint Petersburg 25.02.2011 - 29.05.2011
Organised by the Museo Nacional del Prado and the State Hermitage Museum, and with the collaboration of the State Society for Cultural Action, this exhibition comprises 66 paintings created between 1450 and 1820, selected for their outstanding aesthetic merit and art historical importance. These works will offer Russian visitors a chance to see highlights of the Prado’s collection and to learn about its royal origins.
The exhibition will focus on the role played by the Spanish monarchs in the creation of the Prado and will include portraits of the principal founders of the collection, including Titian’s full-length portrait of Charles V, Velázquez’s portrait of Philip IV, Charles III and his son Charles IV by Mengs, and Ferdinand VII by Goya, among others.
Religious painting, which is one of the most important areas within the Prado’s collection, is also extensively represented in Saint Petersburg, with works such Raphael’s Holy Family with a Lamb, The Virgin of the Rosary by Murillo, Christ embracing the Cross by El Greco and The Adoration of the Shepherds by Maíno. The latter is closely related to another work by the same artist in the Hermitage and thus establishes a special link with that museum that will be reinforced in this exhibition with the portrait of Peter Ivanowitz Potemkin, the Russian Ambassador, painted by Carreño de Miranda, and General José de Urrutia by Goya. The General was awarded the Cross of Saint George by Catherine the Great.
- Gabriele Finaldi, Museo Nacional del Prado and Svjatoslav Savvateev, State Hermitage Museum.