The building that today houses the Museo Nacional del Prado was designed by architect Juan de Villanueva in 1785. It was constructed to house the Natural History Cabinet, by orders of King Charles III. However, the building's final purpose - as the new Royal Museum of Paintings and Sculptures - was the decision of the monarch's grandson, King Ferdinand VII, encouraged by his wife Queen Maria Isabel de Braganza.The Royal Museum, soon quickly renamed the National Museum of Paintings and Sculptures and subsequently the Museo Nacional del Prado, opened to the public for the first time in November 1819.
The Prado has implemented a sponsorship programme through which companies and institutions can choose between different levels of sponsorship depending on which one best meets their requirements.
The Friends Foundation supports the Museo del Prado by a wide range of means, promoting its collection and acting as a nexus between civil society and the Prado in order to achieve an active participation of the former in the museum’s life.Know more